Yes, it is possible to have a graphical user interface on your slug!
Here is how to do it:
- First, obviously the slug has no screen, mouse or keyboard. You will need to have an X server running on a separate machine (I will call this your "X server system"). If you have a gnu/linux based desktop system, you almost certainly are running an X server already; X server software is also available for windows and MacOS?.
- Second, you need to install the right software on your slug: "ipkg install vte xdpyinfo xauth" as root should do it.
- Third, you will need to connect from your X server system to your slug with the ssh protocol. And you will need ssh software that understands how to forward the X protocol on both the X server system, and on the slug. Both openssh and dropbear can do this; I use openssh. If you aren't running an ssh server on your slug already, "ipkg install openssh" and check that you can log in with it.
- Fourth, if you are using openssh, you need to edit /opt/etc/openssh/sshd_config on your slug and add a line saying "X11Forwarding yes". Restart openssh after doing this. Now is probably a good time to completely reboot your slug.
- Fifth, you are now ready for slugvision! Log into your slug with "ssh -X"; once you are logged in, try running "gtk-demo" or "vte". These graphical programs are running on your slug, but displaying on your X server system.
If these instructions do not work for you, or you can think of a way to make them clearer, please edit them.
If you would like to contribute an X11-based or gtk+-based application, and want help, feel free to come ask questions on the #nslu2-linux irc channel, or send email to the yahoo list.
This is a list of the X11-related packages now available:
|fontconfig||client-side font library|
|freetype||client-side font library|
|ttf-bitstream-vera||free truetype font for use with freetype|
|x11||X client library|
|xau||X client library|
|xcursor||X client library|
|xdmcp||X client? library|
|xext||X client library|
|xfixes||X client library|
|xft||X client library|
|xrender||X client library|
|xtst||X client library|
|ice||X client library|
|sm||X client library|
|xt||X client library|
|xmu||X client library|
|vte||terminal widget for gtk+|
|xpm||X pixmap library|